Pre-Soaking the Chickpeas
- 1 cup Chickpeas
- 3 cups Water
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
Making the Hummus
- 2 cups Chickpeas
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice juiced from 1 to 1.5 medium lemons
- ¼ cup Tahini
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp Salt to taste
- ¼ cup Cold water, as needed
Preparing the Chickpeas
- Soak the chickpeas from the night before in 3 cups of water. Add 1/2 tsp of baking soda if possible.
- Pressure cook chickpeas. Discard water and any skins that fell of the peas. Rinse chickpeas and set aside.
Making the Spread
- In a food processor or powerful blender, combine the tahini, lemon juice and salt and allow to run for 1 minute, continually scraping down the sides as needed then blend in the garlic and set aside.
- Add the cooked chickpeas, cumin and cold water in batches of three while continually scraping down the sides and blend until smooth. Add water as needed to facilitate blending.
- Taste and add more seasonings if desired. 1 serving is 2 tbsp.
This recipe can be tweaked based on preferred flavours:
- Chocolate flavour: Skip the garlic, lemon juice and yeast flakes and add 1/4 cup honey, maple syrup or other sweetener, vanilla extract/essence and 1/4 to 1/2 cup cocoa powder to taste.
- For a brighter colour and earthy flavour: Add 1 cup of pureed beetroot and lemon juice (or lime juice if desired).
- For a yellow colour: Add turmeric as needed.
Calories: 83kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 113mg | Potassium: 122mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 12IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 23mg | Folate: 57µg | Iron: 1mg | Phosphorus: 82mg | Zinc: 1mg