Tuna Vegetable Casserole
Loaded with veggies, flaky tuna and covered in a light yet savoury cream sauce!Print
Servings: 3 slices
- 1 ¼ cup whole wheat pasta cooked
- 1 cup tuna
- 1 cup mixed vegetables ready to eat (or cooked vegetables, e.g. broccoli)
- 1 medium egg
- 1 medium onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ cup low fat milk (or a plant based milk)
- ¾ cup low cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 4 tsp coconut oil
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F degrees. Grease a 10 by 10 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Cook whole wheat pasta using instructions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tsp of coconut oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add garlic and mixed vegetables, sauté for 5 minutes.
- In a separate large sauce pan, heat 2 teaspoons of oil then stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk egg and set aside. Stir in the milk, cheese, salt, pepper until evenly distributed then add tuna then whisked egg and pasta and fully combine.
- Lightly grease the pan and pour in the mixture. Sprinkle the shredded coconut unto the mixture if you prefer. Place dish into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the top of the pasta looks golden.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 421mg | Potassium: 479mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3481IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 244mg | Iron: 4mg