A plant-based alternative with all the flavours that you love!Print
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ¾ cup onion diced
- ½ cup scallion diced
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp thyme
- ½ tsp pimento powder
- ¼ tsp scotch bonnet pepper minced
- ¾ cup water
- Prepare tofu by freezing the unopened tofu for two to three hours and then thawing in the fridge until ready for use. When ready for use, press it to release water by placing tofu on a mesh rack (for e.g. type used in baking) and placing a heavy plate on top of it for 30 to 45 minutes. Place a kitchen towel under the kitchen rack so that it can absorb the water that will be released.
- Dice the tofu into one inch cubes. Season tofu with curry powder, turmeric, onion, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Add oil to a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook/flip until browned (each side may take 6 to 8 minutes). Add thyme, pimento, carrots and water.
- Cover pot and reduce heat. Cook for 20 minutes, checking at intervals to adjust for additional spices and/or water based on your preference for gravy.
Calories: 318kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 740mg | Potassium: 708mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 458IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 160mg | Folate: 36µg | Iron: 6mg | Phosphorus: 291mg | Zinc: 2mg