Curried Pumpkin and Black Beans
A savoury plant-based dish that never fails to satisfy
- 1½ cups Black beans cooked in water with pimento seeds, salt and thyme
- ¾ cup Pumpkin peeled and cut into small cubes
- ½ cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Curry powder
- 1½ tablespoons Coconut oil
- ½ medium Bell Pepper red, strips
- 1 medium Onion minced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Ginger grated
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Thyme fresh leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Pimento seeds (Allspice), optional in cheesecloth or ground
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan then add the curry powder and stir for a few seconds until evenly distributed in the oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté the onion and garlic until they have softened, then add the thyme, garlic and scotch bonnet pepper.
- Add the black beans and stir so that they are fully incorporated into the oil, then add ¼ cup of the water and cover. Allow the stew to come together for 2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and stir to fully incorporate all the ingredients and then bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the sweet peppers, (and the remaining ¼ cup of water if needed) then cover the pan and continue cooking until the pumpkin is tender.