Curried Pumpkin and Black Beans
A savoury plant-based dish that never fails to satisfyPrint Pin
- 1½ cups black beans cooked in water with pimento seeds, salt and thyme
- ¾ cup pumpkin peeled and cut into small cubes
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1½ tablespoons Coconut oil
- ½ medium Red Sweet Pepper strips
- 1 medium onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon of Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- ½ teaspoon ginger grated
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon Thyme fresh leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pimento seeds optional in cheesecloth
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan then add the curry powder and stir for a few seconds until evenly distributed in the oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté the onion and garlic until they have softened, then add the thyme, garlic and scotch bonnet pepper.
- Add the black beans and stir so that they are fully incorporated into the oil, then add ¼ cup of the water and cover. Allow the stew to come together for 2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and stir to fully incorporate all the ingredients and then bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the sweet peppers, (and the remaining ¼ cup of water if needed) then cover the pan and continue cooking until the pumpkin is tender.
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 306mg | Potassium: 878mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 15304IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 110mg | Folate: 233µg | Iron: 5mg | Phosphorus: 258mg | Zinc: 2mg